_

Pages

Sunday, 9 April 2017

Catching Up



Wow! What fabulous weather we've had this weekend. It's definitely lifted people's mood, and great to see folks enjoying the outdoors, and because it isn't as often as we'd like, you have to make the most of it, at every opportunity.

In the last week I've managed to catch up with lots of writing buddies, which is fuel for the creative well. On Friday I saw the ladies from the Leicester Chapter of the RNA (Romantic Novelists Association) for lunch, where we exchanged happy chatter and lots of news. It's uplifting to hear how everyone is getting on, and listen to their plans for the next few months.

Saturday I went to my writing group and got some useful critique on a short story I'm writing for an anthology in aid of Cancer Research. I haven't written a 1000 word story for a long time, and it hasn't been easy! The theme is 'Identity' and after three failed attempts at different ideas, I finally got going and wrote 1750 words. Which resulted in me spending two evenings trying to get the story down to the required word count.  It was 1250 before I read out, so now this coming week I will tackle my revisions and get the word count within range.

In the afternoon, I met with my #writingchat friends over at Attenborough Nature Reserve in Nottinghamshire, and we had a catch up in the cafe, followed by a stroll around the reserve. It's good to hang out with other writers, and there's always a lot of creative energy and a little bit of madness which helps.

Writing Plans 

I'm reading through my novel, it's not right, and I need to cut more stuff out altogether as it really isn't doing anything to further the story. Also, several of my writing group are going to meet up at the end of the month to help and assist each other with novel issues. In readiness for this, I need to revamp and circulate my synopsis by the weekend.

I'm Chairing the meeting on Easter Saturday, and need to do the advance admin and write a 150 word flash fictions piece, in the next few days.  I haven't made a writing 'to do' list yet, but I will be doing as soon as I finish this blog post. Things get done if they are on a list.
 
Time is precious and non of us can afford to spend our free hours doing things we really don't want to do, or stuff that isn't relevant. And with that in mind, I'll be doing a quick check to see where my time is being spent. Like many writers, I'm brilliant at procrastinating, and lately have slipped into bad habits. Too many things are getting in the way of my writing, and other things I want to do.

Is it time you identified what is important to you and what is not? I'm growing my list of unimportant things I need to ditch, such as taking too long over my household chores, and watching box sets into the wee small hours. I need to get good balance again.

Have a good week - Keep writing!

15 comments:

  1. I feel myself slipping into old procrastination habits. But currently my printer isn't working and I am trying to fix it so I can get on with editing! I am gutted I couldn't make it to the Nottinghamshire meet, but glad you all had a good time :) One step in front of the other. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ingrid!
      Hope you got your printer working, it's a writers nightmare when they go wrong...
      Let's work on our procrastination together, and aim at getting back on track.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I can relate to that, I seem to be wasting rather too much time here at the moment. Although I have ploughed my way through some chores as well. Time to get a grip of myself! I hope you have a good and productive week, good luck with cutting those words down to 1000, I hope it goes well. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ, you have a young family, and it's difficult to keep all the balls in the air. I hope you are wasting a little time on yourself. :-)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love box sets! Couldn't get enough of Modern Family...

    Hope you don't suffer withdrawal symptoms, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm addicted to Vikings! I've spent the last three weeks watching from series 1 to series 4 -

      Delete
  4. Hi Maria - definitely the weather for getting out and about - fresh air, freedom for the spirit to roam ... so pleased you've been busy and interested in the things going on - good luck with all the writing ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary, it was a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  5. It's wonderful when you can meet up with writing friends, Maria - I wouldn't be without mine! And yes, the spring weather really lifts the spirits. All the best with the writing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm formulating a new plan.

      Delete
  6. A lovely post, Maria. I agree that the lovely weather we've been having lifts everyone's mood. :-) It's always good to meet up with writing friends and I always come back inspired when I meet up with mine. Good luck with your writing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, writing buddies do give us inspiration.

      Delete
  7. It was great to meet up with you over the weekend, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed our catch up Patsy.

      Delete
  8. Hello Maria - great to catch up with you on here. Have a peaceful (and productive) Easter. Marilyn xx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!