_

Pages

Sunday, 16 April 2017

Pause and Plan



Last week I hit the pause button and took stock of my writing life. What I've been doing since the beginning of the year isn't working for me. I set out with good intentions in January, however I've lost my way, and it's time to reorganise and go forward with a different plan. Easter is a good a time to begin the process, it's a little like starting afresh on January 1st, and already I'm feeling more energised with my decision. I've been thinking about how I'm going to recharge my willpower batteries, and how I'm going to build good habits, so I've made a list. 

  • Sleep - I really must get at least 6.5 hours sleep every night because any less is no good for me, and it's a struggle to get through a working day, let alone do any writing. 

  • Diet - Making healthy choices will give me more energy, and I've already started. Adding more fruit and vegetables to my diet, and less cake! I haven't cut it out completely, because a little of what you fancy now and again does you good.  

  • Hydration - Drinking water helps you to think and focus and you'll be more motivated. It's also a natural headache remedy, and in my case, drinking more water eases backache too. Don't believe me? Try it yourself - increase your water intake this week, and see the difference. 

  • Walking - Just five minutes outside in the fresh air makes a difference to our mood. Especially if we are close to nature. 

  • Exercise - Other stuff apart from walking which makes you feel energised. I like pilates, and stretch classes. You may do something else to get your endorphin fix. Whatever it is, it will make you feel better about yourself. 

  • Tell a Writing Buddy - Get someone on side to cheer you on from the sidelines. They'll be your moral support when times are tough, they'll gee you along and help you get back on track when things go wrong. 
I've no doubt there are many more ideas I can add, this is only the start - What can you add to the above to help me stick to my new plan?

Happy Easter! 

17 comments:

  1. That's a good list! I definitely think that getting outside is important - away from screens, small print-outs of text, anything that makes you focus too closely.

    The sun, the fresh air, the views: I'd say they're probably more important for my energy levels than good diet (as I chomp on chocolate already - well, it is Easter ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has all that chocolate gone now?
      Agree that getting out in the fresh air does boost energy.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with what you say. Sometimes I forget to hydrate enough and I start yawning repeatedly. Great tip about the backache though, I shall definitely make more of an effort. I've given up snacks (except fruit) and puddings for Lent and I feel much better for it. I'm going to try and continue. The same goes for sleep. I usually manage just under seven hours, but much less and I'm tired all day. I hope you find a new rhythm that suits you and helps with productivity. I shall check back to see how you're getting on! Hope you have a lovely Easter break. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ, I'm working on the sleep thing - it's hard work, but I'm gradually lowering what time I go to bed. Started with an hour earlier and it didn't really work, so I changed it to twenty minutes earlier for a few nights and that seems better. I will up it to half an hour earlier at the weekend and see how I go with that...

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of an Easter reboot. I've been thinking that I need to reorganise and reprioritise, too, because I seem to be doing too much that seems like obligation for little reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have a look at the wider picture and implement one or two changes.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Happy Easter back at you! :-)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely agree with all of these things, Maria. I'm sure that you'll soon see the benefits. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got nothing to add, but know how you feel! I seem to be the hamster on the wheel. Constantly in motion but going nowhere. I am frustrated at how little I have achieved so far. A writing buddy is a good idea, as is a mentor. I am starting off on my journey with a mentor this evening. I am nervous, scared and determined! I need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be fine. Best foot forward. :-)

      Delete
  7. I need a lot more sleep than 6.5 hours - but otherwise I agree with your health advice. Drinking more water is something I've been doing recently and it really does seem to be doing me good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been amazed at how much difference it makes.

      Delete
  8. All good plans and should help to energise you and your writing. I'm aiming to try very hard at a healthier lifestyle once we get moved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you well with the move Rosemary, last time we moved back in 2003, I found it very hard for lots of reasons. It will take you a while to get your feet under the table at your new place.

      Delete
  9. Watch some telly. (Good stuff I mean, not rubbish).

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!