Last week I hit the pause button and took stock of my writing life. What I've been doing since the beginning of the year isn't working for me. I set out with good intentions in January, however I've lost my way, and it's time to reorganise and go forward with a different plan. Easter is a good a time to begin the process, it's a little like starting afresh on January 1st, and already I'm feeling more energised with my decision. I've been thinking about how I'm going to recharge my willpower batteries, and how I'm going to build good habits, so I've made a list.
- Sleep - I really must get at least 6.5 hours sleep every night because any less is no good for me, and it's a struggle to get through a working day, let alone do any writing.
- Diet - Making healthy choices will give me more energy, and I've already started. Adding more fruit and vegetables to my diet, and less cake! I haven't cut it out completely, because a little of what you fancy now and again does you good.
- Hydration - Drinking water helps you to think and focus and you'll be more motivated. It's also a natural headache remedy, and in my case, drinking more water eases backache too. Don't believe me? Try it yourself - increase your water intake this week, and see the difference.
- Walking - Just five minutes outside in the fresh air makes a difference to our mood. Especially if we are close to nature.
- Exercise - Other stuff apart from walking which makes you feel energised. I like pilates, and stretch classes. You may do something else to get your endorphin fix. Whatever it is, it will make you feel better about yourself.
- Tell a Writing Buddy - Get someone on side to cheer you on from the sidelines. They'll be your moral support when times are tough, they'll gee you along and help you get back on track when things go wrong.
I've no doubt there are many more ideas I can add, this is only the start - What can you add to the above to help me stick to my new plan?